Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Peek into the Duggars

Image from Duggarfamilyblog.com

I went to a discount bookstore recently and picked up the book, Growing Up Duggar written by JimBob and Michelle Duggar's four oldest girls: Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger.

I don't know if you're a fan of the TLC show "19 Kids and Counting," but our family catches the show off and on. I thought the book, written about relationships, might be of interest to my girls, but after reading it, I think they're a little young for some of the sections.  It would be a good read for a high school girl.

I did love some of the parenting techniques JimBob and Michelle have used in their home. One of the most innovative ideas, which our kids are too old for now, is right before they have Bible time together each evening the younger kids play the "Obedience Game" with Mom and Dad. They meet at the couch and one adult gives a specific child a command, "Jennifer, run and touch the end of your bed, then touch the front door knob and come back as quick as you can!"  Jennifer stands up and says, "Yes, Sir (or Ma'am), I'd be happy to do it!"  This helps them get some energy out before they have to sit quietly during Bible time and it also helps them to practice quick and happy obedience. What a fun way to practice doing what you're asked.

I find the parenting techniques talked about in the book truly centered on Biblical principles and Mark and I will be rereading the book to see what ideas we can use in our own family.  While we may not have the same convictions as the Duggar family, I found the book to be grace-filled and a wonderful testimony for the Lord. It was a refreshing read and I think they've done a wonderful job raising their children and being a light to the world.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

What a neat idea with the younger kids. I don't think my 13 year old would go for it at this point! ;) We don't watch every show either, but when we do watch I just see real commitment and grace and their stance on living a righteous life is a blessing to see.